Decisionbase

MyTherapy Communities (Discussion Forums)

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion Topics About Psychopaths
 General Discussion: How To Survive A Psychopath
 step daughter is sociopath, how do we cope?

New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrspatwolf
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  19:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
my 26 year old step daughter WITH a 3 year old son is a sociopath. How do we know? years of dealing with her, no diagnosis.. she lies to all councelors and pychologists. She lies lies lies, steals, been in jail, has stolen from her parents, goes from man to man whomever can provide a roof over her head, no matter what shape it is in. There is daily drama, daily lies. Her mother lives with her Dad and I as she suffers from Huntington's Disease and cannot live alone and she just does not seem to REALLY care. On the surface she LOOKS like she does, she offers to come get her but something always comes up. Her mom has a guardian and is being supported by the state. I handle her money now becuase her daughter was "borrowing" her allowance and not giving it back.

I don't know how to deal with this. We cannot just turn our back on her because of her son. We watch him at least 3-4 days a week. If we turn our back on her she will keep him away from us too and we are the only stable person in his life. HELP, what do we DO????
Go to Top of Page

w1cam
Full Member (100+ posts)

152 Posts
Gratitude: 82

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  06:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Mrspatwolf, I just posted on another thread to you but just read a little more of your situation. Have you checked into seeing if legally her rights can be taken away from the child for neglect and or being an unfit mother. I know you have concern that if she knew you are trying to do anything about the situation you may not see the child anymore. I would recommend sitting and talking to a lawyer to see if you can do anything about this. You may be able to do it anonymously I know it would probably be a very long road but maybe at some point if you are successful maybe you could eventually adopt him if that is what you want. i would say talking to a lawyer is the best place to start and many will give you a free first meeting.
Go to Top of Page

mrspatwolf
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  08:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My husband, her Dad and I have thought of talking to a lawyer, but we're short of $$ too. I'm not sure what it takes to have him removed. She's so far had homes repossessed and is no living in house she's "hoping" to by for 15 thousand in Detroit! Holes in walls, just a crap house. I've never seen injuries on him other than diaper rashes. He gets milk here, but I only see him drink pop and fun type juices. I so far this summer have bought all his clothes at Sal Army and they are NICE. I can't tell you the last time she's bought him cloths. She seems to pass him off to people whenever she can but doesn't leave him alone. I think that will at least seem responsible, she at least knows to leave him with people when she goes out and works. It's the way she LIVES and LIES and Steals and CONS and Lives her life as an Example to him. The words he uses,, the "N" word Curses. We tell him ONCE maybe Twice that we do NOT talk like that in THIS HOUSE and he either doesn't do it any more or stops himself. I know he doesn't even know what he's saying he is just repeating what he hears. I don't think a judge would take him away for this. But we do hope to talk to a lawyer soon and I have been logging everything down! Thanks for replying, Pat
Go to Top of Page

mrspatwolf
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  08:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
w1cam, Hi again, I just read your post on the other post, and saw that most sociopath's show signs before 14. It's possible she did I wasn't in the picture then. Her mom suffers from Huntington's Disease which initially manafests mentally, her kids suffered greatly from her wild rages and personality changes, so who knows what went on when my husband was at work! Thanks for the heads up on that
Go to Top of Page

xizziz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  07:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
My 22 year old daughter is a sociopath. She has a son - my grandson of course. He was 3 when I brought him to my home and fought for custody. We have had him for a year. Trust me - get your grandson whatever it takes. These people do not feel, my daughter had no feelings even when very little, she has no guilt, no remorse. If my grandson was still living with her, he would be dead by now. I feel for the parents of Caylee Anthony - I see the same situation. I hear the mother on the phone and strange as it is - she sounds EXACTLY like my daughter. I tried and tried over the years to do everything to make her happy or something - anything. Nothing was appreciated. She lives in a dreamworld. She does not call her sister or 4 brothers, myself, or her father. She met some 44 year old guy on the internet who moved in with her and together they locked my grandson up behind gates all day and did not feed him or give him anything to drink, he was normally covered in his own feces. She thought nothing of leaving Drano or knives laying around, I feel it was on purpose. My grandson is autistic but has made amazing leaps in the past year and now is even talking and very happy with us. I used to pick him up on a daily basis and bring him home, bath him, feed him and give him plenty to drink. When I dropped him off he would scream and have such tears I would cry every day I left him. But she would threaten me with kidnapping each and every time if I decided to keep him. The last time I dropped him off she immediately put him behind the gates, I walked into the room and found that the heat register was off and it looked like hundreds of razor blades going across one side of the floor, I asked "you are really going to leave him in that room? he could die" - and her response was "he'll be fine - don't worry about it mother!" I said no - I am taking him and he will be staying with me - if you do not like it - call the police - and I will instruct them to check out his bedroom full of feces and danger. She never called. I thank God each and every day when I see him in the morning and he smiles and says "Good morning".
Go to Top of Page

xizziz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  07:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Let me add that my daughter showed signs of being a sociopath by the age of 4 years old.

When I went for guardianship, the lawyer and court costs were less than $300. If you get guardianship, and work - you can also get the state to pay for your child care. I wouldn't suggest Social Services as they will want to remove the child and then decide where the child will be best off. You need to somehow convince your daughter that you will "care for the child and help her out for awhile" and while you have the child - go see a lawyer. Sociopaths also really don't know what is going on. She may not believe you when convincing her to sign guardianship papers, but my lawyer helped convince my daughter this was a good solution for her.

They do not trust their family but they will trust strangers as they have not yet learned how to manipulate someone they do not know. They know you like the back of their hands.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 36119
New Topics: 1
New Topics: 24