Decisionbase

MyTherapy Communities (Discussion Forums)

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Depression: General Topics
 General Discussion About (Non-Bipolar) Depression
 Cymbalta detox
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AnnieP
Starting Member

3 Posts
Gratitude: 2

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  10:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I joined just to thank all the people who previously posted on this topic. After 6 days off Cymbalta, a move authorized by my doctor, I began to have symptoms so severe I had to leave work. I never dreamed it would be so debilitating to detox from Cymbalta and, certainly, the doctor had no clue. I have all the symptoms described in other postings: weakness, sleepiness combined with inability to sleep, dizziness, nausea, frequent bowel movements with cramping, severe headaches on day 6, weepiness, (my poor husband, he's the first person I blamed for my free-floating feelings of anger or hurt.)
If I hadn't read the blogs posted by others, I would still think I had the flu!
I have always suspected that anxiety causes us to think of reasons and worries to match the feelings, and for me, during this detox,that has been true. Now that I have found support from other who posted, I know weepiness is just a symptom and I am determined to get off this stuff for good.
I think my symptoms of cymbalta withdrawal are somewhat less than others have described, but still too much to go to work and extend myself to my clients who have real difficulties of their own. I miss seeing them and don't know what I'll do if I can't return to work by next week. I hate to think of medicating my symptoms with some other antidipressant.
I had been on Cymbalta for 18 months. Previously I was on Prozac and Zoloft, on antidepressants for a total of 10 years. Originally I began taking Zoloft prescribed by my orthopedist as I was anxious and weepy due to chronic muscle and joint pain in several different spots: spine, hips,shoulders and neck.I never was really depressed or unable to function due to depression. I don't even think I was depressed.I had tried to discontinue Zoloft about 6 years ago, but became weepy and unable to function in my job as a social worker, so I went on Prozac, and my symptoms from withdrawl from Zoloft were completely relieved. I tried to think of my longterm use of antidepresants as a sort of "vitamin regime" since I suspected I was stuck being on them as I couldn't deal with what it would take to get off of them.
I stayed on Prozac for 3 years more and decided to switch to Cymbalta when I read that it deals with chronic pain. Switching from Prozac to Cymbalta was not too difficult, I had a bit of difficulty sleeping for about 6 weeks. Little did I know that Cymbalta withdrawal was so difficult. Over the course of my ten year stint on antidepressants, I have gained 50 pounds. I don't know if that was attributable to the three different antidepressants I have taken or just middle age and eating too much of my husband's great cooking.Since I have been on Cymbalta, it seems that the last 15 pounds I gained in 18 months are all belly fat.I would like any information that suggests that Cymbalta impedes the metabolization of fat, as another blogger suggested.This is a wonderful website, I think I can make it off this stuff with the support I've gained. Does anyone who succeeded know how long it will take?

AnnieP
Go to Top of Page

LLOliverR
Super Member (250+ posts)

977 Posts
Gratitude: 14

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  10:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi AnnieP,

I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time, but I'm glad you've joined us. I don't know anything about Cymbalta, but hopefully somebody here can clue you in. I do know going off of any of these antidepressants is a challenge. I've had to wean myself off of several, either because they weren't working and I had to try a different one or when I stopped taking them for my 2 pregnancies. I even had to quit a couple cold turkey when the side effects became too unpleasant to tolerate. Makes me shudder just to think about it. Boy, I really wish I had had this forum then! They didn't even have the Internet then, though.

I hope we get to know you better. Please stop in any time.

LL
Go to Top of Page

gloryadt
Super Member (250+ posts)

521 Posts
Gratitude: 9

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  13:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Annie, I don't know about Cymbalta, but I believe it works on the same two chemicals as Effexor and there is a lot of info on Effexor Discontinuation Syndrome (aka Withdrawal) on the Meds section and also under the Administrators Discussion. Also, you can do a search on the net. Is Cymbalta fairly new? I may be mixing it up with something else.

Several people have said it was helpful when going off Effexor, to take Prozac for awhile and then go off it. Also to taper off the Effexor very gradually and I'm guessing it may be similar with Cymbalta.

There are a great group of people here who are always willing to listen with compassion and encouragement and you can usually find someone who has been through or is going through what you are. You are not alone
Gloria
Go to Top of Page

ashleeblonde1
Full Member (100+ posts)

184 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  15:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi,
I have been on cymbalta for awhile now and i do think it makes it easier to gain weight but i haven't tried to go off it. It does contain one of the main chemicals of Effexor along with another drug like someone said so it might have the same withdrawal symptoms.

Go to Top of Page

mediinfoguy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  22:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Yes, I had been on cymbalta too for a while but after taking it continuously for 2-3 months, I felt that my condition had worsened and I was getting severely depressed and felt like crying , moreso that I started getting suicidal tendencies also. I stopped it completely and this medication has not helped me in any way. Do the others also have the same effect ? please help me.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieP
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  20:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm up to my 11th day of Cymbalta detox and I'm beginning to feel better.I found The Road Back on day 8 online.(Google it, it's a great resource) and because I'm fortunate to have a credit card, I had the recommended detoxification supplements sent to me the next day. Even before I began taking them, I was beginning to feel better at certain times of the day; in the morning it's tough to get going, but evenings are almost like normal. My energy level is close to normal(whatever that is) and I got through today without a nap. I still have symptoms of muscle stiffness, excessive sweating upon the slightest amount of exertion,and frequent bowel movements that are surprises. The weepiness is still there but I'm hoping that by day 13 I can go back to work.
I got a drastic improvement with my nausea after I decided on my own to discontinue Metformin, a med for insulin resistance that affects the liver. After I discontinued cymbalta the symptoms that metformin causes when one first starts to take it returned. I'm suspecting that Cymbalta made me insulin resistant. Will see when I got back to the doctor.The other thing that I notice is that I am less fidgety without Cymbalta. I had begun biting my nails and the urge is gone since day 6 of my detox.
My rational mind is still reeling thinking of all the bad affects that I had from cymbalta. Wow!
I plan to keep posting in hopes that someone as desperate as I was a few days ago is helped by my account.

AnnieP
Go to Top of Page

Lostinthought1969

74 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  22:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm on Cymbalta too but it is not doing the whole trick for me. I was on Prozac and Depakote for years until it just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I have noticed that the Cymbalta works for my chronic pains and some of my ODC, but it hasn't worked too much on my depression and obessesive thoughs! I was put on something else, I think Geodon or something rather like that but that was really making me sleepy!! It is so hard to know what meds will do the trick! Hope you can figure it out!

Go to Top of Page

AnnieP
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  05:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Day 18 of my Cymbalta detox and I'm feeling really good.I felt good enough to return to work on day 12, after being too sick to go in for a week of the detox, but my when I returned to work I still had excessive sweating, and problems with mood.I began taking the recommended supplements from Global DNA Solutions on day 10 and I feel they have helped a lot. (See The Road Back, patient workbook on the web, it's free and gives detox advice.)
My stomach and g.i. track symptoms are almost gone. I have tons more energy that I ever had for the last 10 years while on antidepressants and I have no symptoms of anxiety except for my intermittent feelings of righteous indignation at the way the country is going. But that's NOT a mental health effect, it's reality-based, right? I notice I get a bit too focussed on ideas and things that irritate me and have to work to maintain detachment, but I'm way better than I was during the weepy period, days 7 through 14 of my cymbalta detox.As far as my good experiences of the change, I am actualy less fidgety, can leave my fingernails alone, I'm less hungry, don't need naps as I always did when I was on cymbalta, and my cravings for caffeine and alcohol are gone. While I was on antidepressants for a total of ten years, (see my earlier postings for my history) I increased my use of alcohol to relax and relieve the fidgety feelings which were most obvious at night.I didn't have restless leg syndrome, it was more generalised than that, but definitely unpleasant. I took my daily dose of antidepressant at night, so maybe the problem occurred when the level dropped.It was not clear to me that this evening agitation was related to the use of antidepressants, but I'm hoping that it was related and that my drinking stays at 1 drink per day.My advice at this time: don't take Cymbalta unless you have symptoms of depression that are so severe that you can't function, and try other SRI inhibitors first like prozac, etc. I really thinking it screwed up my metabolism and my liver function.Too bad the drug companies don't have to disclose this negative information on a drug that is so incredibly expensive. My copay was 50$ monthly.
Go to Top of Page

p1casso
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  18:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

Annie - I'm so sorry to respond so late - but I went through the same things you have listed (although I'm single) - but the weight gain etc. Cymbalta was very bad for me - it may be ok for others - but there are certainly terrible consequences for many of us - I had so many withdrawal symptoms it is scary and documented all of them. I hope you are ok now. I went without anything - then had to start on prozac - no weight gain - but have night sweats at times. But it's far more manageable.....

Julie

quote:
Originally posted by AnnieP

I joined just to thank all the people who previously posted on this topic. After 6 days off Cymbalta, a move authorized by my doctor, I began to have symptoms so severe I had to leave work. I never dreamed it would be so debilitating to detox from Cymbalta and, certainly, the doctor had no clue. I have all the symptoms described in other postings: weakness, sleepiness combined with inability to sleep, dizziness, nausea, frequent bowel movements with cramping, severe headaches on day 6, weepiness, (my poor husband, he's the first person I blamed for my free-floating feelings of anger or hurt.)
If I hadn't read the blogs posted by others, I would still think I had the flu!
I have always suspected that anxiety causes us to think of reasons and worries to match the feelings, and for me, during this detox,that has been true. Now that I have found support from other who posted, I know weepiness is just a symptom and I am determined to get off this stuff for good.
I think my symptoms of cymbalta withdrawal are somewhat less than others have described, but still too much to go to work and extend myself to my clients who have real difficulties of their own. I miss seeing them and don't know what I'll do if I can't return to work by next week. I hate to think of medicating my symptoms with some other antidipressant.
I had been on Cymbalta for 18 months. Previously I was on Prozac and Zoloft, on antidepressants for a total of 10 years. Originally I began taking Zoloft prescribed by my orthopedist as I was anxious and weepy due to chronic muscle and joint pain in several different spots: spine, hips,shoulders and neck.I never was really depressed or unable to function due to depression. I don't even think I was depressed.I had tried to discontinue Zoloft about 6 years ago, but became weepy and unable to function in my job as a social worker, so I went on Prozac, and my symptoms from withdrawl from Zoloft were completely relieved. I tried to think of my longterm use of antidepresants as a sort of "vitamin regime" since I suspected I was stuck being on them as I couldn't deal with what it would take to get off of them.
I stayed on Prozac for 3 years more and decided to switch to Cymbalta when I read that it deals with chronic pain. Switching from Prozac to Cymbalta was not too difficult, I had a bit of difficulty sleeping for about 6 weeks. Little did I know that Cymbalta withdrawal was so difficult. Over the course of my ten year stint on antidepressants, I have gained 50 pounds. I don't know if that was attributable to the three different antidepressants I have taken or just middle age and eating too much of my husband's great cooking.Since I have been on Cymbalta, it seems that the last 15 pounds I gained in 18 months are all belly fat.I would like any information that suggests that Cymbalta impedes the metabolization of fat, as another blogger suggested.This is a wonderful website, I think I can make it off this stuff with the support I've gained. Does anyone who succeeded know how long it will take?

AnnieP

Go to Top of Page

stivelor
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  15:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Is there a cymbalta detox vitamin package available?

Thanks

Stivelor
Go to Top of Page

cindyjo42
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  00:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

I just found this information and thank goodness I did. I have been on Cymbalta for over 18 months and stopped cold turkey eight days ago. I don't think I have ever felt so bad in my life. I called the doctor's office several times and never could get them to call me back to make an appointment so I got tired of waiting and decided to just stop it all at once. I was on 60 mg a day. I figured there would be some withdrawal symptoms for a week or so but never anything like this. I was hoping I would be getting better by now but the withdrawal effects seem to be getting worse. My new home is in the bathroom. Can't seem to keep nothing down and the severe nausea and frequent bowel movements, headaches, dizziness, mood swings, not being able to sleep, the nightmares are unbelievable, and when I do try to sleep it feels like there is something crawling on my skin. There are just to many side effects I am experiencing to list I think.
I stopped taking it due to a weight gain of over 70 pounds during the 18 months (have never been overweight) and the severe sweating. I kept asking the doctor could this medicine be causing the sweating and weight gain and he said no. It should cause you to lose weight, not gain. The Cymbalta did help the depression and especially the fibromyalgia pain but the side effects with it were getting to be to much. Weight gain at that rate and no telling how much I would have gained. I am wondering if I will ever be back to normal or at least feel somewhat healthy again. After eight days and symptoms seem to be getting worse, I am really getting worried that I made a mistake. I just want to feel better. The short term memory loss is definitely another side effect while taking the medicine and now not taking the medicine. The memory is gone. I am so sorry that we all have to experience these horrible withdrawals. If the doctor would have told me this, I definitely wouldn't have taken the drug. I have been on several different kinds over the years but ever have experienced anything like this.
I hope we all get better soon but I know it sure does help knowing other people understand what you are going through. We will all just have to hang in there. Thank you all so much for all of your posts.

Cindyjo42
Go to Top of Page

purple iris (inactive)
Starting Member

12 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  16:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
cindyjo:
I just read your post about Cymbalta- I am on day 5 of withdrawal and doing better each day. My doctor advised me to take cymbalta everyother day to start with which was hard for me. I tried twice and went back on it because I felt so terrible. I have been cutting back for most of the month and last week I decided to try stopping.
I have been having alot of brain zaps, dizziness, and my dreams last for hours and are almost life like. I have some insomnia also. Each day has been somewhat better- I feel like I am just waking up from a coma- the world seems different to me in a very good way. I am laughing and crying again and not feeling more motivated to do things. I have been taking fish oil and vitamins and tylenol also for the headaches. Hang in there- it will get better!

Purple Iris
Go to Top of Page

Mollie1964
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  21:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi--I joined just to thank all the people who posted on Cymbalta detox. Now I know that im not going crazy! I had no idea honestly that you would experience detox trying to come off a drug such as Cymbalta. I guess I kind of figured that I could either take it or not take it and it wouldnt matter, boy was I wrong. This is my second attempt to come off of Cymbalta and the first was not nearly as hard, I did go back to not sleeping and having a lot of pain when I stopped it but then I restarted taking it because I thought that it was really helping my moods and I was tired of not sleeping. I am determined to stay off it for good this time although I have really been sick since I stopped about a week ago. I either dont sleep at all or I want to sleep all the time, I want to eat but everything I try to eat makes me nauseated, ive been having headaches and horrible very vivid dreams where I wake up sweating. During the day I go from being cold to burning up and from being mad to crying and feeling like just being mean to whomever I can including my husband and kids, which I feel bad about but its like I just cannot help it. Ive been on the 60mg daily for over a year and the reason I want to get off it and stay off it is the side effects, in particular the total lack of interest in sex and inability to enjoy it. I was put on Cymbalta to help with the pain of Fibromyalgia and also to treat depression that I have been struggling with off and on for the past 15 years. I went through a bad divorce followed by the very traumatic death of my Mother from MS, then remarried, had 2 children and last year was with my Dad when he passed away in a hospice from dementia. Yes, I do believe that it did help me some but I suppose you have to weigh both sides. My doctor does not know about me getting off the Cymbalta im sure he would not approve because I think I mentioned it to him one time and he told me that it was probably not a good idea to stop taking it. I dont want to have to start taking something to replace it but I feel like im absolutely going crazy or like I have some sort of flu or something. The anxiety or panic attacks are terrible and I keep having what I call brain zaps or jolts that just make me crazy! Also I dont know if anyone else has been experiencing heart fluttering or palpitations but I can just be sitting there watching tv or whatever and all of a sudden they hit me and scare me to death. My heart rate will be racing like I just ran a mile. Is all this going to end? Is any of this really harmful to you or when the drug is gone from your systen will all this stop? Its good to know that im not alone and there are others experiencing some of the same symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

shellbell
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  08:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I too, have gone off Cymbalta recently and felt like I was going to die a slow death. I am offically 5 days free of this drug and experincing sleeping all thru the nights ( which I had`nt done in months) and am happy to say, I am not going back.
I went on this to help me get thru the mid life/ letting go of a child and a friends death. If I had known it was going to be so bad on my health trying to get off of it..I would have thought twice.
I did loose pounds since i could not sleep and would be up cleaning at all hours of the night. My husband is happy I am back ( somewhat ) to normal after a summer of hell with me being on this.
I am looking forward to my sex life being born again since I never thought of it on this drug. lol.. Here`s to new beginings~
Go to Top of Page

vanessamy55
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  13:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've been on 60mg of Cymbalta for 5 years. Due to weight gain and the fact that my Dr. thought that I need a med change due to how long I've been on it, I was wheened off. My Dr. told me to start taking Wellbutrin 100mgs while I was taking 30 mgs of Cymbalta. My last day of Cymbalta was 4 days ago. Now I'm only on Wellbutrin. I can tell you that I am a MESS! I have serious withdrawal symptoms. I feel like my brain is floating around in water, I am having insomnia, I feel sick to my stomach, I have crying attacks throughout the day which is EMBARASSING, I feel like my heart is beating outside of me, I am dizzy and am shaky. I've read so many posts about this..and yet it seems that I'm going to feel like this for a while. I went off Cymbalta cold turkey 3 years ago. Within 2 days, I was in the Emergency room and kept on observation because my heart rate was sky high, I was skaky and couldn't keep anything down. I was in the hospital for 4 days..until my Dr. told me to go right back on it. So, I did. Here I am 3 years later..wheening off of it the RIGHT way..and I feel like crap. I don't have time to stay in bed until I feel better. It's jsut awful. I hear that taking Benedryl will help me feel a little better, but Benedryl makes me tired. I'm so frusttrated and beginning to have suicidal thoughts. What am I supposed to do? HELP!!!!!

vanessa a greene
Go to Top of Page

Kathleen 1
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  13:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been on cymbalta for 3 years. This is my second attempt to get off. The first time I couldn't do it. I was put on it for severe anxiety. Over the past two years I have been seeing a holistic doctor. I have chenged my lifestyle and have been eating really well. Your diet and attitude can play a huge part in your recovery. I also experienced severe nausea and acid reflux. I highly reccommend taking natural enzymes. You can get it in a health food store. you can open up the capsules and put them in water. The nausea went away in about ten minutes.Another supplement that will help is probiotics. This is a combination of natural bacteria that is good for your digestion (also found in yogurt). You can also get this is a health food store. My doctor told me to take 5000 IU of D3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 36025
New Topics: 2
New Topics: 2