Decisionbase

MyTherapy Communities (Discussion Forums)

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Schizophrenia: Medications
 ANTIDEPRESSANT MEDICATION
 Is There A Severe Effexor Withdrawal Syndrome?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

susan55
Starting Member

4 Posts
Gratitude: 4

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  20:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I was on effexor for 7 years I am now clean.
I did it all wrong have used the internet to help me survive withdrawal. I have learned a lot and suggest these site to you.

paxilprogress.org
effexoractivist.org
http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/TCDBCBLD99KUQ56BF

A slow taper will lessen the symptoms but nothing will make up for not understanding the process or implications. My suggestion is take a couple of months and read everything you can so when you do decide to taper off you will know what to expect. This can be a long hard road and knowledge/support can be what makes the difference. When I first started I could find no support and no information so I pass this along to you in hopes you have an easier time of it. Wishing you health and happiness.
Go to Top of Page

TeriTG348
Starting Member

1 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  20:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am currently trying to get off 75mg of effexor and am having a MISERABLE experience. I was on 10mg of Lexapro for 6 years and went off easily. Getting off Effexor has been a complete nightmare. I have never felt this bad. I feel nauseous all the time - I feel hungry so I try it eat but then feel worse. I feel like my brain is in a complete fog and my reaction time is significantly delayed. I lose my thought process easily and have no concentration. I want to cry every minute.. and have been. I feel hopeless and don't want to do anything. I feel like my heart weights 100 lbs and I am completely anxious and fearful - specifically I can't get the fear of the death of loved ones out of my mind, which makes me want to crumble. I know I should have tapered more - but do not feel this is normal, especially after my experience going off Lexapro. If you are not on Effexor and are thinking about trying this drug PLEASE consider other alternatives first. This withdrawal is unbearable. I know it will end, but I'm considering just going back on the drug to feel ok again.

DO NOT TAKE EFFEXOR IF YOU HAVE ALTERNATIVES.

As for those experiencing similar pain - remember, it will end.

teri
Go to Top of Page

chelle25
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

5725 Posts
Gratitude: 3676
Very caringVery wiseVery honestI agree

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  18:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I went to my Obgyn doctor because I was having hot flashes ( which I now believe were caused by the geodon I was taking). Anyhow she told me she was writing me a prescription for effexor and that it is the only drug approved for hot flashes. I asked her, will it make me gain weight? Will it give me withdrawl symptoms if I ever go off of it? She said no and just kept praising this drug. I told her I will take the prescription home but that I was going to research on it before I decide to take it. Thank god I did!! Found out that it does make you gain weight and there are many accounts of horrible withdrawl. No thanks!! I'm already having withdrawl from cutting down my goeodon!
Go to Top of Page

angelwings17
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  03:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am currantly coming off this medication
My highest dose was 150 and it wasnt having and possitive effect on me, so was taken down to 37.5mg and was kept on that for 6months.

I got a pdoc and he wants me off it.

I started taken 37.5 very second day for 2 weeks
then half that for 2 weeks
and then 1.3 of a pill for 2 weeks,
and now im day 5 of taken nothing and still extreme with drawals

woke up and I was dizzy, electric shocks in my head, intence preasure in my head, slurring words, headaches like no other, poor balance, loose stools, stomach upset, sleeping alot or not at all, anxious, irritable, stressed, low mood. Just feel like my body is rotting away.

and all that tapering slowly, I stil get that. I guess it doest matter what u do, u cant excape it.

Control your own destiny, or someone else will
Go to Top of Page

FLMgirl
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3401 Posts
Gratitude: 3213
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  09:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Angelwings,

Welcome to MyTherapy, which is more than just a name.

I also started on this site while I was looking for effexor withdrawal info as I presume you did too. The taper you did, sounds pretty good, though I am sorry to hear you are still having such intense withdrawal symptoms. It would appear from all the posts here that there is just no easy way to get off of it.

The good news...there IS life after effexor. The symptoms you are having won't last forever, and will get better. It was a couple weeks for me. Per everything I read, I started taking vitamin E, and aspirin or ibuprofen and that seemed to help. Also, during this time frame, I tried to do very little. And I tried to sleep through alot of it, which worked for me because I couldn't work since I had broken my foot 8 weeks before.

So, hang in there Angelwings, and again, welcome to MT.

FLMgirl

It is what it is...but I'm trying to make it better!
Go to Top of Page

rosaaa
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  19:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I realise how old this topic is however found it on google when looking 4 suport 4 the terrifying dreams I'm having after going cold turkey from 300mg venlafaxine per day. Day 3 now, head zaps are crippling, can barely walk talk or move. So determind to get off the **** though. Just cnt bear these awful vivid dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Rizzo
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  18:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am crying, crying, crying reading this.

I am on day 7 of Effexor withdrawal.. I went cold turkey, and had not read anything until now about other options, but if I've made it this far, then I can do it, I REFUSE to take any, I don't want to prolong this horrible agony.

Thank goodness this forum is here, I am feeling better just knowing that all of this is not in my head, and that I'm not going crazy. Thank you.

Since I'm one of the newer posts on an otherwise older thread, hopefully those of us currently going through this can support each other- you are in my prayers!

Thanks, Rizzo
Go to Top of Page

Janet 19
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  22:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hello Rizzo,
Not that I want to see anyone else going through this withdrawal, but it was kind of nice to see someone else looking for current support. You're a little further into your success than I am. I am only on 4 since my last dose of Effexor. Are you having the same type of symptoms mentioned in so many of the prior posts? I am having the most horrific case of brain zapping, I feel like there is a constant echo in my head. Almost like a lightbulb with a burned out filament. I have been of 75mg for over five years and have tried to quit multiple times to no avail. I am resentful that I feel like I am some kind of junkie trying to quit this drug.
I hope we can provide some support to each other. I know I surely could use it. Even though I have a very supportive family, not many people could understand that a prescription medicaiton could cause such strange and intensive side effects.

Best wishes to all of us.

Janet

quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo

I am crying, crying, crying reading this.

I am on day 7 of Effexor withdrawal.. I went cold turkey, and had not read anything until now about other options, but if I've made it this far, then I can do it, I REFUSE to take any, I don't want to prolong this horrible agony.

Thank goodness this forum is here, I am feeling better just knowing that all of this is not in my head, and that I'm not going crazy. Thank you.

Since I'm one of the newer posts on an otherwise older thread, hopefully those of us currently going through this can support each other- you are in my prayers!

Thanks, Rizzo

Go to Top of Page

miss leah
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  19:23:40  Show Profile  Visit miss leah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i have taken effexor for over 4 years , and for 3 out of 4 years i have been on 600mgs of it, Now that i can no longer afford a therapist (im in the process of looking for one , don't worry) but it's been 3 years since my dose has been so high , and initially i was warned that it is potentially hazardous to be taking such a high dosage in my condition , since i've been off track with having a therapist that i see regularly, for the past 2 years , i continued to take my prescription at 600mgs.Now it's come to a hilt and i'm on the 10th day of lowering my dosage for the first time ever and it's been a mind maze to say the least. myself and my father have decided i will write my experience and share it , and so god willing i survive this process you are all free to check out my journalling blog ! the url is http://sansfleurette.tumblr.com and you can always leave me messages , theres a kind of drop down menu that if you hover over with your mouse where it says description , and you see where it says "ask me anything " just click that and let me know how you feel from reading it, i've done this blog mainly for similar people like you and i who are suffering through the same circumstances, i feel like it's encouraged me a lot to read this thread of posts !!! thank you so much, xoxo Miss Leahhttp://sansfleurette.tumblr.com
Go to Top of Page

stephpilg
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  10:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi guys...
I have been taking Effoxor for 10 years. I've tried weaning off of it a few times with no luck. The side effects are horrible! I came across a site that adviced taking out grains out of the capsules by 3 a day. I've been taking 37.5 mg for the past couple of years. The other day I sat down and opened up each capsule, counted out how many grains were in the capsule (mind you, not every capsule has the same amount in it which blew me away!) As of this morning, I have 6 days before I am completely off of Effexor. The side effects I experienced before like the electric zaps, feeling like my brain is not connected in my head, ect are not there. I am tired but that's hard to tell if it's because I work my butt off. I have had spme diarrhea, but not intolerable. I also have been ****y. I'm hoping that it these are the least of my side effects and I can finish out the next 6 days and after. To those of you trying to come off of this poison, do not listen to trying to skip days. The half life of this drug doesn't allow it to work that way and wreaks havoc on your body. I wish you all the best trying to get off this med!
Go to Top of Page

BACALL
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  11:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
AS A RETIRED RN DIAGNOSED W/ PTSD AND MAJOR DEPRESSION..I HAD BEEN ON EFFEXOR FOR 6 YEARS..NOW RETIRED DECIDED TIME TO TAPER AND THEN GET OFF THIS DRUG AS THE MAJOR STRESS WAS GONE...MY JOB! WHEW..AS ALL OF YOU , WENT THRU BRAIN FREEZE, HOT/COLD SWEATS, ELECTRIC BRAIN SHOCKING, DIARRHEA, NAUSEA, ETC...I READ ONLINE SOMEONE USED FISH OIL TABLETS W/ RELIEF (SOMEWHAT)IN 20- 30 MIN. CRAVED COLD...POPSCICLES HELPED ALOT.. CALMING TEA CAMMOMILE AS WELL AS SWEET DREAMS ALSO HELPED..MY THERAPIST SUGGESTED DARK GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES...SLEEP AS NEEDED . GAINED WEIGHT DUE TI INABILITY TO MOVE DUE TO BRAIN FREEZE..( I DONT KNOW HOW ANYONE WHO IS WORKING OR GOING TO SCHOOL CAN GO THRU THIS..) YOU MUST TAKE AT LEAST A WEEK OFF! IT REALLY TAKES A MO FOR THE SYMPTOMS TO DECREASE..IVE BEEN TOTALLY OFF THE TAPER SINCE JULY 2011..I STILL AM EXPERIENCING JOINT STIFFNESS AND PAIN. PLEASE HAVE SUPPORT AND TRY NOT TO BE MEAN...BUT EXPLAIN TO YOUR CAREGIVER THAT YOU MAY SAY AND DO THINGS YOU WOULD NEVER DO OTHERWISE...GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!
Go to Top of Page

JennyBeans
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  16:34:27  Show Profile  Visit JennyBeans's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I am so disheartened to see the original post was from 2005!
Nothing is being done about this. About a week ago I went through the exact same withdrawal symptoms and I am just sickened that this drug company still does not feel obligated to, at the very least, put a warning about the withdrawal symptoms on their packaging. I started a petition. It's listed on my profile page if anyone wants to sign it. It won't do ME any good now, but maybe we can at least warn others.

Jen Jenkins
Go to Top of Page

donnawithadee
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  10:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been on Effexor for about 8 years now, the past 3 years I have been on 225 mgs a day. About 4 years ago I tried to go off cold turkey, within 4 days I went crazy and I didnt see it, only knew I felt horrible, hubby got me to the Dr and I went back on my meds and was back to "normal" within 24 hours. I dont remember anything about that time, any feelings etc. Now over the past year I have had alot going on in my life and had missed 2 or 3 days worth of doses and I end up with a feeling that my head weighs 100 pounds and it feels like my neck cant hold it up, my head has a feeling of pressure as though it will blow up at any moment, I feel like walking up a flight of stairs I cant breathe, and those HORRIBLE brain zaps, feeling that I can only explain as a feeling of an electric zap that goes thru my entire head, quick and intense.....I know it is my fault because I miss the doses, and good Lord how I can forget or put off taking those pills to keep from having these horrid symptoms I dont know but I do. So now I wonder, do I even need this crap in my body and if not HOW do I ever get off, do I dare try?????
Go to Top of Page

sagewoman
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  18:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I'm on day 4 of cold turkey withdrawal. I forgot to order my prescription before leaving Canada to the US for a two day conference. My prescription is 300 mg per day and I have been on this for more than 5 years. I have the brain zaps. I found that the fish oil caps help, plenty of fluids and sleep. I am sleeping as much as I can to ignore the effects and my dreams are very intense. But, before Effexor, I had very vivid dreams and learned how to control them (lucid dreaming). I hope I can cope without the pills as they capped my mood so badly that I was just coasting - no joy - if I got motivated to do something; it would just fizzle out - the energy and excitement I mean and I would just go into coast mode. I cannot live like that. I do not want to take them again even to do the slow withdrawal as I do not think it will work.

I hope to find other methods to cope with the withdrawal symptoms. I just want to put myself out here to let others know we are not alone.

I own my own business so I can take a few days off to sleep but not for very long.
If anyone has any advice on what to try please post it.

Go to Top of Page

GuyRichard
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  19:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have been effexor for the better half of the last decade. Withdrawaling is no joke at all. http://effexorwithdrawal.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 36200
New Topics: 5
New Topics: 12