Decisionbase

MyTherapy Communities (Discussion Forums)

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bipolar Disorder: General Discussion Topics
 I'm A New Member
 Morbid jealousy
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

OrphanedBySociety
Starting Member

34 Posts
Gratitude: 5

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  14:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Ive had the syndrome since I was 15,Ive read all that is written on the subject I had every symptom that is listed,even had a listen device they had implanted in my leg so they would know my every move,Boy did the pdoc flip out over that one,They put me in the hosp when I went to the hosp and showed them where I had tried to cut it out,got me 3 days observation in 4B.Good thing those days are over think i could not have survived much longer.See my morbid jealousy turned into delushional jealousy.To qualify the delushions have to be intangled in the weB of morbid jealousy.And then there is a underlaying disorder.Don't know if I was are still am to a degree. schizophrenic,or bipolar.They just list me as pd boderline.I may be looking at it wrong but thats like being on a tight rope and you could fall either way.Hope none of you have morbid jealousy if you think your mate is running around on you,dont let your mind over rule your heart.Get help if you start tieing strings around your house,or staying awake while shes in bed to make sure shes not leaving,or stalking her every move,tapping the phone to find out things and for gods sake dont hire a detective to follow her they will drain you of all your money
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

9136 Posts
Gratitude: 1182
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  22:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Orphaned by Society,

I had never heard of Morbid Jealousy Syndrome before so I googled it and I see that apparently it is indeed a recognized syndrome, aka Othello Syndrome.

So are you out on your own reconnaissance or do you see a psychiatrist or therapist now?

I don't know if I have Othello Syndrome. I experience some measure of envy and jealousy, but not so much to disrupt my life. I see a therapist twice weekly and a psychiatrist every month for med management.

Again, I had never heard of Morbid Jealousy Syndrome, so thank you for enlightening me.

-EA

safety ~ touching ~ attention~ mirroring~guidance~listening ~ being real~ participating ~ validation ~ respect~ belonging~ time to grieve~ support ~ loyalty~ trust ~ mastery ~ creativity ~ transcendence ~ sexuality ~ fun ~ freedom ~ nurturing ~ unconditional love ~ connection with higher power
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  22:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
P.S. I do already know some info that may perhaps enlighten you and/or other gentle readers online here...envy and jealousy spring from self-rage, self-hatred, and low self-esteem.

safety ~ touching ~ attention~ mirroring~guidance~listening ~ being real~ participating ~ validation ~ respect~ belonging~ time to grieve~ support ~ loyalty~ trust ~ mastery ~ creativity ~ transcendence ~ sexuality ~ fun ~ freedom ~ nurturing ~ unconditional love ~ connection with higher power
Go to Top of Page

OrphanedBySociety
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  00:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I would be greatful to hear someones thoughts on this subject.There is a movie you might find a rental blockbuster
titled Othello its a pretty good movie.Poor Othello, but I was
sicker than him because of the delushional jealousy I suffered,
he did have delushions they were short lived.Thanks
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  01:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi OBS,

I have a question on the topic of Morbid Jealousy, if OK.

Since you've been dx w/ MJ since 15, can you share some of the maintenance treatment if any you receive, other than hospitalization? I ask mainly out of a sense of "morbid curiosity."

I don't know the tale of Othello very well. My favorite Shakespeare tragedy is The Tempest, followed by Romeo and Juliet.

-EA

P.S. I also wonder if you feel jealous of me, not that I'm all that great, just wondering if you do because of your syndrome.

Go to Top of Page

RedStar

4843 Posts
Gratitude: 746

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  08:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Welcome, OBS.

Your post was a springboard to a very interesting, if brief, conversation with my partner. Your post got me to thinking about jealousy and envy, which seem so similar yet are quite different. My partner compared jealousy to a hot burning flame and envy to a simmering pot of water, just below boiling level.

I asked her if she thinks I am a jealous or envious person. She thought about it, I thought about it, and neither of us could think of a time when I was either. I thought, WOW, for all of my messed up thinking, there is actually one thing that isn't a problem for me.

So I tried to think truly about what it would be like to be jealous all the time, especially if it's delusional, and when you kind of know it's delusional but can't not feel that way. It must be very painful and exhausting.

Then I realized something that you all probably have realized before me: all mental illness is absolutely exhausting. We spend so much time having our symptoms, trying to control our symptoms, dealing with the consequences of our symptoms...

Anxiety is not fear, being afraid of this or that definite object, but the uncanny feeling of being afraid of nothing at all. It is precisely Nothingness that makes itself present and felt as the object of our dread.
William Barrett
Go to Top of Page

Beeyada
Starting Member

15 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  12:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi Orphaned,

I suffer from agoraphobia and severe anxiety, my sister has bipolar. When i was in my 20's (i am 43) i was insanely jealous with my boyfriends, i would litterally tear up my apartment if 'he' was five minutes late from work. I would scream and hit...

How old are you? Mental Illness never ever goes away and I am not an expert of course but can jealousy that extreme 'die' down as we get older? I am single and I still feel jealous of course and when i get dumped.

Bee
Go to Top of Page

EmergingArtist

9136 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  14:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I used to think everyone else was envious of me.

However, through therapy, I have discovered that I frequently have envious thoughts towards others, which my therapist defines as "self-rage."

Apparently, the reason I thought everyone else was envious of me was because I couldn't own up to the reality of my belief which is: I am inferior to all other humans. Now I have mostly accepted that I have the belief that I am inferior to other people.

-EA

Go to Top of Page

lynn2150
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

21265 Posts
Gratitude: 10152

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  22:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Jealousy, oh god I get that a lot,
supposedly it's caused by insecurity. and low self esteem.
It's a painful thing to go through.
Some twisted creatures use it as a game towards their partners, which is very cruel.

If people offer their help or wisdom as you go through life, accept it gratefully. You can learn much from those who have gone before you.- Edmund O'Neill
Go to Top of Page

RedStar

4843 Posts
Gratitude: 746

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  07:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I've been thinking about this more (this topic has really intrigued me), and I realized that Cloud and I play at being jealous.

She sometimes teases me about my "girlfriends" at the drive-thru at McDonalds and Steak & Shake. Because breakfast is on the fly, I frequent both places and am on a first name basis with the gals at the windows.

One of my quirks is that I always need to know "Who was that on the phone?" I tease her about talking to her "girlfriends" when she gives me that long suffering look. (But hey, she always has to know "Where are you going?" I can be in my pajamas at 10:00 at night and she'll still ask that. Where the heck does she think I'm going? LOL)

So anyway, that is what I've been thinking in regards to jealousy.

The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next.
Mignon McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

Ferengi (inactive)

3264 Posts
Gratitude: 334
Very wiseVery honest

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  12:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
I have two lovers and they are jealous. They tell me outrageous things about each other and I have decided they are probably making things up for me. I have never been jealous, not even when my partners were unfaithful and I knew about it, and I don't understand this behaviour at all. Just watching it.

Ferengi
Go to Top of Page

OrphanedBySociety
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  14:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
quote:
Originally posted by Beeyada

Hi Orphaned,

I suffer from agoraphobia and severe anxiety, my sister has bipolar. When i was in my 20's (i am 43) i was insanely jealous with my boyfriends, i would litterally tear up my apartment if 'he' was five minutes late from work. I would scream and hit...

How old are you? Mental Illness never ever goes away and I am not an expert of course but can jealousy that extreme 'die' down as we get older? I am single and I still feel jealous of course and when i get dumped.

Bee

Go to Top of Page

OrphanedBySociety
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  15:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Hi BEENADA** Good to hear from you.You had the morbid all right.Your symptons are a lot like mine were.Mine was a never ending thing I would watch everything.Other symptons are following your mate,calls to work are visits are spying on them from a hiding place,the police ran me off from the car lot across the street from where she worked,checking bed sheets,every move your mate makes you can make something out of it that might prove you are right.I am no longer married to her,it was real hard comeing out on the short end.I am the big 50 and still suffer from the morbids to a smaller extent.
Go to Top of Page

OrphanedBySociety
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  18:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Othello syndrome: The delusion of infidelity of a spouse or partner. The Othello syndrome affects males and, less often, females. It is characterized by recurrent accusations of infidelity, searches for evidence, repeated interrogation of the partner, tests of their partner's fidelity, and sometime stalking. The syndrome may appear by itself or in the course of paranoid schizophrenia, alcoholism, or cocaine addiction. As in Othello, the play by Shakespeare, the syndrome can be highly dangerous and result in disruption of a marriage, homicide and suicide.

The Othello syndrome was named by the English psychiatrist John Todd (1914-1987) in a paper he published with K. Dewhurst entitled "The Othello Syndrome: a study in the psychopathology of sexual jealousy" (Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorder, 1955, 122: 367). Todd was also the first to name the Alice in Wonderland syndrome.

The Othello syndrome is also known as delusional jealousy, erotic jealousy syndrome, morbid jealousy, Othello psychosis, or sexual jealousy.

Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

21876 Posts
Gratitude: 11633

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  02:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
i love your name orphaned by society. welcome to my therapy.i never had a problem with jealousy. but it is an interesting topic
Go to Top of Page

chevy

2329 Posts
Gratitude: 98

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  13:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
Welcome to the site Orphaned.

I have had my fair of jealous ways. I used to get jealous all the time but now i am trying to not be so jealous.

"I hope you know, I hope you know that this has nothing to do with you. It's personal, Myself and I We've got some straightenin' out to do And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket
But Ive got to get a move on with my life
Its time to be a big girl now And big girls don't cry
Don't cry"!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 36019
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 7